Think outside or inside the box! Gather your friends, family and co-workers together and challenge yourselves to ride across the lake on a cardboard sled that you built. Build it at home and bring it, or create one with free supplies while they last.
SnoFest 2018 Cardboard Derby will be held at the West lake in Copper Mountain Center Village.
Register your cardboard Derby entry on Fri., Jan 19, between 8 am and 4 pm and Sat., Jan. 20, between 8 am and 12:30 pm at the Center Village Conference Center. Build your Derby entry on site between noon - 1:30 pm. Judging begins at 1:30 pm with the competition starting at 2 pm.
- Building and drop off times start at 12:30 pm. Contest starts at 2 pm. Awards following contest on site
- Races will be run side-by-side, two crafts at a time
- The times will start when the whistle is blown. Racers will leave the starting line and push and/or drag their crafts on the ice through a slalom of three cones, rounding the last cone and running the slalom back to the finish where their times will stop once they hit the final cone sitting at the finish line. Crafts must go around the slalom cones and will have a 2 second penalty for each cone hit or not gone around.
- Each craft must have at least one person pilot that does not push or pull the craft
- Each craft can have no more than four people pushing and/or pulling
- Each craft must be constructed using only cardboard, tape and rope. Other materials such as paint (no painting on site), fabric, flowers, lights, etc. may be used for decoration only but may not make contact with the ice.
- To increase safety, helmets are mandatory (approved motor, bicycle or hockey), gloves, knee and other padding is advised.
- SnoFest will provide YakTrax spikes for competitors and will be the only ice traction devices permitted. Ice climbing crampons will not be permitted on ice at any time.